Tuesday, May 16, 2006

How does one deal with pain?

In one of the cheesy TV shows I like to watch I heard one of the participants say "find your pain and deal with it"
It made me wonder, how do you deal with your pain?
Having "the hard conversations?"
I was never afraid, never in my entire life to have the hard conversations.
I actually think that I like the hard conversations
I like them so much that I practice them often
often enough not to consider them hard
"don't pretend that everything is ok"
Well, I don't
sometimes things are ok, some other times things are not
My question is how do you deal with a loss
how do you come to accept that you will never see your mother again?
and the hardest part is that sometimes I accept that
But some others I don't
I have flashbacks from the moments I had with her,
from her funeral,
in her coffin laying there in peace, having one of the most relaxed expressions she ever had
then, I think about going back home and I think that I am going to be spending my mornings with her as I did for the last four years....but then, I remember that she is no longer there!
I look at stores on line and I think about the gifts I have to get for family and I think what to get her, but then, I remind myself that she is no longer there!
Sometimes thinking about that is fine!
Some others it just drives me crazy!
Why is it that now as I think about my future I am not allowed to have my mom in it?
Why is it that as I think about moving on with my life I will not have her there to support me?
And why is it that there people my mom's age who still have their parents around?
I get bitter when I think this way and I really shouldn't!
I cannot help it sometimes.
My question remains, how does one deal with pain?
even the therapist cannot answer that!
then, I find myself laying on the couch with a pint of Ben & Jerry's and a spoon in my hands watching cheesy shows that make me cry so that I kind of deal with my pain....

1 comment:

amalia said...

πάνε μέρες να σου γράψω κάτι. Ίσως γιατί δεν είχα τη δύναμη να αποτυπωσω με λέξεις όσα ήθελα να σου πω. Ούτε και τώρα την έχω. Οι λέξεις γίνονται μονοσήμαντες, απέναντι στις μουσικές της ψυχής.
Σκέφτηκα όμως, να σου χαρίσω μια αγκαλιά. Μόνο αυτήν. Χωρίς επεξηγήσεις. Χωρίς σημειώματα. Μια αγκαλιά που να φτάνει σε σένα. Απ τη Λευκωσία με αγάπη.Μαζί και δυό ανθάκια γιασεμιά απ την αυλή μας. Για τις νύχτες που μυρίζουν γιασεμί και πεθύμησα τόσο πολύ να τραγουδάμε σ αυτές παρέα. Πολλά φιλιά...